Friday, April 12, 2013

30ish Days of Gaming... DAY 3, sort of

DAY 3:

MY GUILTY PLEASURE GAME

This one was pretty difficult at first. And then it was pretty easy. Difficult because for the most part I'm nerdy enough that I don't really feel guilty playing any of the games I play. Videogames are already viewed in our culture as a sort of adolescent thing to do, and seeing as I'm not really phased by that particular concept it's sort of hard to feel guilty playing any in particular. I don't play many games that are looked down upon by the gaming community either, and the ones I do play I play because I love them and I don't really feel bad about that. There's a lesson in there somewhere... maybe. Do what feels right to you. Or something. I dunno. I just woke up. YOU extrapolate meaning.

Anyhow, this became pretty easy once I looked back into my past to the N64.

I used to play this game called Deadly Arts. Maybe you know it by its non-US title: G.A.S.P!! Fighters' NEXTream. Still not ringing a bell? Don't worry. I'm probably one of twenty five people that played it, and the only one out of all of them that actually enjoyed it.

Deadly Arts was a 3D fighter released by Konami back in the late 90s (and yes, it made me feel old to realize how long ago that was). The mechanics are pretty terrible. There's really very little appeal to draw anyone in. So let me break down why I liked it.

1) Edit Mode

That's right. In Deadly Arts you could design a character, train as them to gain techniques, and then fight as them in the different fighting modes of the game. I LOVE games with not just character customization but character CREATION. That's why T.H.U.G. 2 was always such a favorite of mine.

2) Goils

Yeah, yeah. Lousy man of a boy that I was I couldn't help but go a little gaga over the ladies in this game. Really, that's probably the biggest embarrassing reason that I'd list this as my guilty pleasure game. DOA came out on home consoles in '98 as well, but only to Playstation. Deadly Arts was sort of the sad, Nintendo man's answer to that lack.

Anyhow, from my searching there is pretty much NO fan art out there for this game, so I hope fellow fans (if you exist) enjoy this, because this very well may be the only fan art for Deadly Arts in existence right now.


Check back a little later, as I'll be choosing one or two additional games as sort of honorable mentions. I sort of wish I'd been doing honorable mentions from the beginning. Ah well.

EDIT: 

And here they are! Guilty Pleasure Honorable mentions! 

First up, Pokémon!


Pokémon is awesome. There's really no denying that. The part of playing it that's most embarrassing is seeing seven and eight year olds walking around playing the same thing you are. That's also sort of awesome though... defeat ageism! 

For this picture I combined my original Pokémon Red team into one monstrously awkward pokémon. I challenge you to do the same! (Please... don't leave me with this thing all alone...)


Second on today's honorable mention... it's... ANIMAL CROSSING! *confetti* 


Animal Crossing is a fantastic game. You can't beat it. There's no violence. So why is it so good? Honestly, I play some pretty "hardcore" games, but I can't help but love Animal Crossing's quaint cutery. Even my mom--who doesn't like playing video games--likes playing it.

Why is it a guilty pleasure?

In no other town do I stop by clothing stores daily to see what new fashions are in or feel so incredibly compelled to pull weeds, plant flowers, and make sure the neighborhood looks great. A far cry from Halo.


No comments: